Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Paintball Fun


For his birthday, Richard decided he wanted to get a big group of people together for some Paintball action. So when I was given the opportunity to run around and shoot some of my close friends, I jumped on it immediately.

Before last Saturday I have only been paintballing one other time. It was in high school and the only thing I remember from it was getting dirty and having an awesome bruise somewhere on my body. Oh yeah, and there were some pictures as well. Now it was time for some more memories.

Usually, I would prepare for the big event by hitting up the Army Surplus stores and buying the perfect camo outfit. Unfortunately the move into the new place has depleted my bank account….plus I figured Ben might have some camo pants. Nope, I was wrong he just had the camo shorts he bought for another theme event.

So morning of the big event, I get up, shower, put on my make up (just because I will be getting gross and muddy is no excuse to not to have pretty face. ;) ), and put on some work out clothes in all black. That’s right, Ninja Stephanie was going to be on the field.

I picked up Ryan, Ben’s roommate, and headed out to Fort Worth for the festivities. We got to the place and kind of stood around for 30 minutes and watched all the professionals walking around in their top of the line paintball clothes, extra weaponry and kick ass guns all the while praying that we would not be playing against these guys. Did I mention they were also about 10 years old? Uh huh. They were that scary.

The official refs of the game give us the low down on the rules and divide us into teams. Thank God Whitey and Ryan were both on my team because they were trying to scheme how many shots they were going to take on me.

The first two rounds we played I was super sniper girl. I mean who can see me when I am dressed all in black in the daylight. That’s right….everyone. I still managed to not ever get hit and took out a couple of trees, grass and I think some of my splatter got an actual girl out.

After the first couple of games, Whitey and I decided it wasn’t fun to not get shot so we planned our first suicide missions. Oh yeah, we were going to run out back to back, scream at the top of our lungs and shoot the crap out of the opposite team. On our third game, we were hiding out behind some huge spool ready to go when Whitey goes to take one shot and someone takes out his hand. 5 seconds into the game and he loses due to a lucky shot. No suicide mission for Whitey. So it is left to me. I run out, try to scream and realize I can’t because I am completely out of breath and make my way up the hill. Within 2 seconds, I take a shot to the leg. Now, I am out. Oh well, I got hit. It didn’t hurt too badly and I will probably have a nice bruise to prove I played.

Now on to the final game. At this point we are all pretty low on ammo, except Whitey because he didn’t get one shot out from the last game, so we decide that we will play till we run out of paint. Pretty much, if you get shot and you still want to play…continue until you can’t shoot anyone any more. So I make the speech to alert everyone of the new rules. Here is an excerpt: “Rule #1: If you get shot, suck it up. Shoot until you run out of ammo and then you can surrender.”

Once again, Whitey and I decide to employ some Rambo moves and rolls and other tactical exercises for the last game. My blood is pumping, I am pratically already out of breath from the thought of running again and finally hear the whistle blow. I go to run out and shoot everyone in site when all of a sudden I find myself flat on my stomach and my face in the mud. That’s right….I tripped on a root right in front of me. By the time I get myself back up, it sounds like everyone traded in their guns for semi automatics. Sure enough, my run to cover was painful. The whole left side of my body was covered in paint by the time I slid in next to Whitey. Not only were my leg and arm throbbing but so was my left ear. Yep, I took a bullet to the head. One shot versus 10 shots hurt a helluva lot more. The worst part about the whole thing was the safety on my gun was ON the entire time.

I laid down and recovered for a couple of minutes before I started taking shots on the opposing team. Any time a bit of my body was exposed, it was shot. At this time, I wanted to give up…as did Whitey. We continued on until we ran out of paint. I finally got to surrender. Yay for me! As I was walking to safety, I felt someone shoot me on my leg. From behind. Yep, that’s right. Apparently my little speech before the game pissed one of my team members off so he shot me. Note to self, not everyone knows you and understands your humor…..make sure jokes are made away from paintball guns. :)

Needless to say, I left the game with about 8 big bruises on my body and clear understanding that I really need to get into shape. I had a great time though and am kind of looking forward to the next time.

No comments: