Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chicago Show Week - Part II

Alright let’s see…

Cubs Opening weekend:
It just so happened to be opening weekend for the Cubs while we were in town. Unfortunately we weren’t able to make it to the game since we all had to work that day. We finally got out of the hall around 5 and decided to meet up with some of Joe’s friends who happened to be partaking in the festivities since 11 AM.

Now I didn’t really know anything about the Cubs prior to this trip, but apparently their fans are insane. They are very pro Cubs and even more pro drink everything in sight. So we finally make it to Wrigleyville. It was like entering a college campus after a game. Everyone was decked in Cubs gear and everyone was drinking and having a great time. We finally found Joe’s friends at one of the bars. We wanted to be at the same level of fun as them, so we started taking shots and downing our drinks immediately. Well in true form, we all got there or at least a little close. We ended up hanging out in the area for a couple of hours and even had dance party! The night ended with us getting another round or two at the hotel bar and then room service.

Then of course the next day was filled with a little bit of work and then we actually got tickets to game the next day! So exciting. So Dave, Joe, our San Diego buddy Mark and I all got to leave work and go to the game. Now all of my experiences at baseball games usually involve drinking beer, eating hot dogs and sweating my ass off. That wasn’t the case in Chicago. Did I mention it was 30 degrees the entire time we were there!?! Yeah, so we had our beer and hot dogs but it all had to be consumed while wearing multiple layers of clothes, gloves, winter jacket and a scarf. Needless to say we had a great time. I have even became insta-friends with a girl in front of us. Later when we walked out of the ballpark we saw her and she gave me a random free drink she had in her coat. Badass! We then walked to some cigar store and bought cigars! That’s right, I am so one of the boys. And by that I took one puff and decided that I would pass on that fun.

My awesome coworkers/Baseball buddies…
From Not So Secret World of Stephanie

Me and ‘My Boys’
From Not So Secret World of Stephanie

Wrigley Field
From Not So Secret World of Stephanie

CUBS WIN!!!
From Not So Secret World of Stephanie

Me and a Cub
From Not So Secret World of Stephanie

We ended up going to the same bar we were at the night before and saw the craziest magic tricks and I even had a dance party…again. All I can say is at one point and I had a circle around me with people exclaiming what amazing moves I had and even taking pictures…or once again, it could have been them warning others to stay away so that they wouldn’t get hit and taking pictures of the girl having a seizure in the middle of the floor. I am still thinking it is the first option. ;)So after our fun we finally made it back to the hotel…

Keith Urban: …where we eventually made it to a Keith Urban concert. Even though I don’t know any of his music, it was actually a pretty good concert. I was pretty tired from the day’s events so we didn’t get too crazy at the concert. Later we went out to a random bar where I got nachos and then pretty much begged to go home so that I could sleep. So crazy day, but very slow evening.

Big Girl Shots: On Sunday we had a big day ahead of us. We had to be on the show floor around 7 AM. It was a looooong day. Since it was the last day of show and the first day of move out we had an extremely busy schedule. Finally around 9:30 PM, we got to leave. Of course, I just had to have Café Bionda again so me and the boys planned on getting some food there. Only problem was the kitchen closed at 10. Let’s just say we were able to leave the hall, get a cab, get everyone’s order and sit down and get our first drink all within 20 min. The boys, two other coworkers and I all sat down for a huge feast. There was so much food! The restaurant finally kicked us out around 11 PM, so we did the next logical thing. We went to the hotel bar. After ordering a round of drinks, my coworker Dan (another Chicagoan) decided to get us a round of shots. What I didn’t realize was this was going to be my true initiation into being ‘one of the boys’. That’s right. Dan ordered Jameson…straight. Seriously, if I can’t take tequila or any other straight liquor, how did they think I was going to take the manly Jameson? Not wanting to disappoint, I took it. Like a champ. And like a champ, I kept it down. WIN! After that round we got another round of drinks and another round of Jameson. And with that we closed down the bar. So rather than just go up to our rooms, we left the hotel and went to another bar! Yay good decisions! Once again, more drinks and more shots later we finally decided to call it a night. Yay me I can take Big Girl Shots and still last all night long. :)

Dance Party USA: Once again our day was filled with work on the show floor and our night was filled with partying. Monday night we tried to mix it up a bit and went to a nice steak dinner. The food was amazing, the drinks were great and of course the company (my boys!) was fantastic. After dinner we met up with some more of Joe’s friends (I love hanging out with a local) and went to a few different bars. Then it was time for dance party extravaganza. The boys and I left once low key bar and went to an awesome dance party location. Since it was kind of early there wasn’t weren’t that many people, but the ones that were there were awesome. I didn’t do hardly any dancing, but still had a great time. Since it was kind of slow, we decided to go to another dance party location! I was in heaven, multiple dance parties in one night. I felt like I was back home in Dallas…..and did I mention that they were gay bars! Oh glorious! So we get to the next location where within 5 minutes I make a new best gay friend. This where the nights gets fuzzy…I remember tons of dancing, drinks , more dancing, getting fresh air, dancing some more and most likely some more drinks. Needless to say, we didn’t end up getting home till 4 AM. Thank goodness I was going home the next day.

All in all Chicago was so much fun. Probably one of my most favorite work trips to date. I ate tons of great food, had MULTIPLE dance parties, worked with amazing people and even got to go to a Cubs game. I couldn’t have asked for a better 11 days. So thanks to a wonderful city and to the awesome hospitality of my coworkers. Can’t wait for the summer….

No comments: