Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm a Call Girl


Little known fact about me....calling people I don't know....scares me. And by scares....makes me extrememly uncomfortable. My hands shake, I get sick to my stomach and for some crazy reason when I make that phone call to the unknown person...my voice reaches the highest, most unnatural octave. Not to mention, I become the sweetest, caring and fake person on the phone. I hate Call Girl Stephanie.

In my first internship, I had to make phone calls to embassies in Canada and ask for email addresses and mailing addresses. It was awful. I almost wanted to cry every day. Ever since then, I decided I wouldn't take a job cold calling, luke warm calling or warm calling.

In my department at Freeman we have our sales people that make the calls to the Exhibitors, get the information and I quote them a booth with said info. Life is great, they call Unknown people...I make a few calls to some other Freeman employees and I don't ever speak in a voice that only dogs can hear.

Well...all was great until last week...

Freeman picked up a new show which required a dedicated team. Lucky for me, I was asked to be a part of the team. Little did I know that would mean I would have to make over 100 phone calls to people I DON'T KNOW. I stressed about it for weeks and finally last Tuesday the day came.

I sat with one of my coworkers and listened to her make some calls. Then it was my turn, I locked myself in an office, made sure no one was listening and calmed my shaking hands. I dialed the number, asked for my contact in my high pitched voice and gave my little speech. Not too bad.... I then called some more people, left messages, chatted with others and realized....I am an idiot. This isn't bad at all. By the end of the week, I was dialing the phone, kicking up my feet and only spoke in the fake sweet voice for the first 5 seconds. So in less than a week my life has changed....I am an official Call Girl. Not to mention I make sales too!

1 comment:

Veronica Maria said...

i like how call girl stephanie is loving and sweet...(insert sarcastic laugh here:)