Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chicago Work Week - Day 1....


So how do you get back into the groove of things? I like blogging, I really do if I have something funny to say or the most random story that I don’t want to forget. Then again, I also almost want to use this as a mini journal. As you can see nothing funny or interesting is happening, but I have been busy…

So the one thing I wanted most in my career is finally happening. I am traveling. In February, I spent a total of 8 days in Dallas. I was in New Orleans for the first part and then beautiful San Diego for the rest. All for work. Although some crazy shit went down, it is isn’t interesting to talk about unless you know the Trade Show industry. So I won’t bore you with details how I literally almost froze my ass off in New Orleans (seriously, I think I was on the verge of frost bite when I got back to my hotel one night) or how I had cursed booth in San Diego which I was sure was going to destroy my career. If you are truly interested in either story, then get with me later.

As a result of the cursed booth, I actually was promoted on another show (I was just as shocked). This of course meant more travel! Yay! So lucky me, I spent most of March and some of April in Chicago. So my first trip up there was for only 3 days. I, of course, couldn’t think of how I was going to pack my electric blanket, 13 sweaters, tights, extra pants, hand warmers, gloves, snow boots and anything else to keep me warm in a small carry on piece of luggage. So I finally knocked down my packing list to a few sweaters and appropriate work clothes and my winter coat. And wouldn’t you know…the whole time I was there, we had like 50 – 60 degree weather. Really, Chicago? You call this cold. Please I can totally do this.

Anyway, being overdressed (as in too many layers) I started my new role in Chicago and it wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be. On the other hand, my social life had no idea what it was getting into. I didn’t realize that it was almost a city wide law that whenever you decide to have an adult beverage you must also have a shot to go along with it. Now I am fine with taking some girly shots , but since college I haven’t really trust myself to take big boy shots. Little did I know what was in store for me…

So my first night in Chicago, I called up my coworker Dave and told him to meet me in the hotel bar for dinner. Not wanting to get crazy, I decided to have a salad and nice little cranberry vodka. No plans to have a drink fest since I would be going to a new office the next day. So after 2 very nice sized drinks, I was ready to call it a night and make my way to my room for a good sleep. Little did I know a former Chicagoan/coworker would meet us at the table. Dave and I had already paid and were done. Not in the cards…

Once Joe sat down, he threw our paid tabs to the side and informed us that we weren’t done and in true Chicago form mentioned we should get shots. Well unfortunately for me, I was in a pliable mood and decided that shots was the best idea anyone had come up with in centuries! So off to the bartop I run to order some Flaming Dr. Peppers…wait, what? You can’t light things on fire!?!?! What kind of crap is that? At that point, I couldn’t think of anything easy and fun so I ordered jager bombs…ugh.

Needless to say at that point, my 11 o clock bedtime was soon changed and my time traveling commenced. Scenes from the night play out like so…

*Take shots! Laugh, make fun of each other
*Order another round. Apparently since it isn’t a double, we go back to the bar to ‘spice’ it up some more
*Almost done….oh wait what is this? A shot?
*Boys go on smoke break. Stephanie is about to die. So I decide to split my shot with theirs….and I think I poured some of my 6th round of cranberry vodka out underneath the table.
*Bar is closing. Let’s go to a room and drink there!
*Smoke break and drink break on the balcony
*Somewhere around 3 , I have made it to my room and have set all necessary 8 alarms….
*TIME TRAVEL!
*5:30 AM – Time to wake up, hid hangover and somehow make it to work….

Yeah, so this was night one of my first time in Chicago. Obviously all good decision making skills are thrown out the window when visiting. We all did make it to work the next day without any problem…except of course the feeling of wanting to die throughout the day. All I could think was, thank goodness this is only a 3 day trip…

No comments: