Monday, October 12, 2009

New Orleans - Work and more work

After being in 4 states and 3 planes, I finally made it to New Orleans, LA. One of coworkers was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and bring me to my hotel. After driving around for an hour or so (he had lived there all of his life) and finding out very little history, I finally made it to the hotel. I checked in and made my way to Luke’s restaurant….apparently some famous guy from some cooking show runs the place. I ate at the bar with my two new friends and we judged people in the bar ….especially the people from New York. Oh man, that was fun. Anyway, I had a burger (I know, I know….New Orleans food is lost on my because I don’t like seafood). It was good…but the cocktails were better. Especially since the bartender let us try a few that he was making.

The next day I walked over to the Convention Center so I could supervise the booth we were building for my client. Little did I know that the minute I stepped outside my glasses would fog up and I would be covered in water (not sweat) from the humidity. Man, that 15 min walk took forever. Then lucky me, I spent the whole day watching the booth go up. The clients finally made it for the last bit of the day. We worked some more and then made our way to dinner. I had Cajun Injected Chicken. I don’t really want to know how they can legally take a Cajun and mush him down to a green goo and inject him in Chicken….all I know is it tasted pretty good. Oh yeah, I also had the “World Famous Onion Rings” and an oyster (I was forced!). I finally made it back to my hotel where I am pretty sure I passed out within seconds of hitting the bed.

The next day it was back to the Convention Center. The booth I never thought would be finished finally was. What a relief. I was done working around 3:30 so I walked the “Riverwalk” and did some shopping AKA bought flip flops for my throbbing feet, looked at the boats on the Mississippi and finally made my way back to the hotel. That night, I walked to Bourbon Street and decided it wasn’t the place for to have dinner by myself because we all know that my dinner would have consisted of hurricanes, margaritas and cocktails and I would have been out until around 2 AM if not longer. So I had a nice dinner on the corner somewhere, did some shopping afterwards and was home in bed by 9. I am such a crazy girl. 

Finally my last day in the city, I checked on the booth and the show. Everything was great, the clients were happy and I was officially done with time to spare. So I checked out of my hotel and walked around the French Market. I had a Mufalleta (ok, really only 1 and half bites….definitely not for me) and beignets at CafĂ© Du Monde. I also did more shopping and site seeing. I finished my trip off with more work and then the best taxi ride ever. Lucky for me I had an old tour guide as a driver. He gave me a history lesson of the city and told me all the restaurants I need to come back to when I return. Needless to say, I will be coming back but definitely not for work…

I finally made it back to Dallas around 7 PM at night. I never thought I would ever be ‘traveled out’ in my life, but I was. Thank goodness I didn’t have any where to go for the next couple of days…

Some pics from NOLA:

From New Orleans


From New Orleans


From New Orleans

No comments: